Sunday, May 5, 2013

Figuring Out the Staatsoper


I actually have ended up going to two operas so far at the Stattsoper in Vienna. Two weeks ago I went with Yuki to see "La Bohème" and on Friday I went with a larger group to see Mozart's famous "Die Zauberflöte." Each performance offered a different experience but not really because of the actual show. Instead the location of my seats made a major difference of my opera experience.

Both times I opted for the Stehplatz option, standing tickets. When I went to "La Bohème" I was in the ground floor standing section. I got my tickets for a whopping 4 Euro and they were supposed to be the best among the Stehplatz. Yuki and I got to the opera an hour and a half early, but still by the time we got to our section there were practically no spots. I ended up in the back corner smooshed between two women I did not know. The show began and immediately I was impressed by the musicians, costumes, sets, and singers. However the level of uncomfortableness that came from a woman leaning on me, the booth being a million degrees, and the fact that I couldn't see the translator made for a not so enjoyable experience. 

Round II of the opera with "Die Zauberflöte" was a much better experience. This time we opted for the Gallery seats located at the very top of the opera house. While technically my viewing angle was not as prime, I had a translator and did not have a woman leaning on me for hours. The singing was great, but the orchestra was phenomenal! I was quite impressed. I was also impressed by the costumes. They were extravagant, ornate, and beautiful. Everything I expected of an opera costume. Once again it was rough standing for 3 hours, but overall it was a much better experience.

I am glad I gave the Staatsoper a second chance after seeing "La Bohème." In general going to the opera is a regal experience that is quite enjoyable. I think it is great that the opera house offers cheap tickets so that any person has a chance to soak in the art. I am though excited to go back and have real seats and take in the regality even more so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment