Sunday, May 5, 2013

Mozart's "Die Zauberflöte" - The Magic Flute


Because Vienna is known for its musical history, going to the opera is an absolute must. The Staatsoper, or the Vienna State Opera is located in the ‘Innenstadt’ or the center of the City. The building is as much of the experience as the opera itself. Like many of the other historic structures in Vienna, the opera house has a way of taking you back in time. When approaching the arcaded entrance it is easy to imaging back in the day when the prominent guests would arrive in their elegant gowns and tuxedos to be let out at the door from their horse drawn carriages.
            As students however, today we arrive and make our way to the side entrance to find a line that seems to stretch half way around the building. The line went reasonably fast however and was not a trouble at all. We were sure to arrive at least an hour before the show in order to obtain standing tickets which cost a mere 3 euro- that works out to be only a euro per hour! Although I wanted to wear my heels I knew we would be standing for three hours so I opted for more practical shoes. Other woman standing in the line seemed to not have thought so far ahead and stood in 4 inch stiletto heels- they surely could not have lasted long.
           Once we got into the opera house the entrance hall left me speechless. Climbing the marble staircases that surround the central opening lit by globed lights again reminds me of what it might have been like to climb the stairs back when the opera would have been full of no one but the most important figures of Viennese high society. It is simple wonderful.
            We ended up standing on the highest level where we could see about half the stage- for 3 euros it wasn’t half bad. The opening orchestra melody was lovely. Watching the orchestra conductor was my favorite part, he was so animated and intense- I now realize that conductors stereotypically have long hair because it makes their head motions even more dramatic as their whole body seems to be attacked by the excitement of the music.
            I plan to definitely return to the Opera. Next time I think I’ll arrive two hours early however so that maybe a spot will be open where the entire stage is visible. For my first opera though, the experience was one to remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment