Tuesday, May 7, 2013

How Carmen seductively changed my opinion of Operas

When I think of an opera, I think of a fat man wearing ruffles, singing unintelligible syllables. I don't think of a sexy woman singing and seducing man over man over man, so when I saw Carmen, saying I was surprised would be an understatement.

I have never been to an Opera, so I was completely unprepared. I didn't realize that people actually did dress up for it, so I looked like a newb in my baggy sweatshirt and leggings, standing next to fully prepared and dressed up Mac and Ryan. I felt self-conscious, as  I could feel eyes from every direction staring at me, but once the music started and the Opera began, none of the mattered. Every person in the audience, old, young, dressed up or not, was treated the same way the opera. The music was overwhelming, and I fully enjoyed myself, even though I didn't understand every thing.

The Carmen that we saw was different than I expected. It was definitely a modern adaptation. Prior to watching it, the only thing I knew of Carmen was the main song that I learnt to play on the piano when I was 10. I knew that it was written and Spanish, and was about a seductive woman, but I was expecting it to be more dramatic.

All in all, I did enjoy my Opera experience, and I definitely want to go to another. I no longer think of fat people singing, but of an artistic and musical way to tell a story. Thank you Carmen!

No comments:

Post a Comment