Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Third Man

As a Fourth Man, I thoroughly enjoyed the Third Man, captivated from the start of the gypsy jazz like intro credits until I was left watching Anna walking away from Holly. I thought it was a fantastic film. The plot itself was very unique. Building on the post-war lifestyle in Vienna, traumatized especially severe by the war, the plot follows most films in its genre of dark suspense.

One aspect I feel this movie diverged from the typical Film Noir framework is the same upbeat music played every scene. Though primed to do so in certain scenes, the music failed to build the suspense the way I thought they would have wanted to. This upbeat music as well as some of the witty commentary - especially between Holly and Major Calloway - suggested the movie leaned more toward the genre of a comedy if not for all the film noir effects used (lighting, shot angles, overall commentary).

Overall, I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment