Thursday, June 6, 2013

Österreichische Nationalbibliothek

After we visited so many amazing places around the city with Dr. Forst-Battaglia, I have to say that Vienna is such a charming city and it is definitely worth to spend a long time to explore every interesting place.
Personally, one of these places that stood out to me the most is Österreichische Nationalbibliothek.  The Austrian National Library is the largest library in Austria and it has 7.4 million items in various collections. I was under the impression that all of libraries should be the same that full of different kinds of books in thousands of bookshelves with nothing special. However, I was surprised by the highly finished curvilinear and geometric designs inside the library. I couldn’t image how magnificent it is when I first saw the extremely normal appearance.





Moreover, the most interesting part was the book-transmission device. One of seasoned staffs showed us the big book-collecting area located on the underground floor. I started wondering how could a staff find a specific book among these countless bookshelves. Later on, the staff showed us one unexpected thing---- book-transmission device. This high-tech device consists of several tracks that round entire book area and a couple of small cars that transport books to demanders. It is worth mentioning that this device is easily to use, the operator only need to input the code for a book then press OK, and then the book-transmission will find the book automatically.



Österreichische Nationalbibliothek is absolutely a must-go place if you come to Vienna. I’ll recommend it to all the people who ask me about the experience here. And I really appreciate all Dr. Forst-Battaglia taught me during the short ten weeks. It will be forever a lifetime experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment