Friday, June 7, 2013

The Wiener Gothic Light Show

Growing up in a religious family, I have always been used to spending my sunday mornings in a sanctuary. The day that stood out to me the most in my course in Vienna, was when we visited saw the magnificent Gothic architecture in Stefansdom, the Minoritenkirche, and the Franziskanerkirche. I was in amazement looking at the awe-inspiring huge sanctuaries with incredibly ornate altars and stained-glass windows. I also really enjoyed learning about the history of the Minoritenkirche tower being destroyed and rebuilt in times of war due to it being the main vantage point in Vienna.

What really took the cake for me, was when we arrived at Stefansdom and we were greeted with an absolutely incredible light show from the windows and powerful chords from the seemingly omnipotent pipe organ. I had never been in such an impressive church before, and it has been the one building in Vienna that has inspired me.












When I would discuss the places we were seeing and history we were learning about to my neighbors in the Studentenheim, they would often remark, "Wow Daniel, you're getting to know more about Vienna than I ever have and I live here!" This course really allowed me to get a holistic view of not only the thousands of years of european history in Vienna, and it enabled me to see the viennese lifestyle and learn more about myself by learning how others live. I have loved learning about the art, history, and culture, and it really made my first trip to europe a fantastic experience that I will always remember.


No comments:

Post a Comment