Thursday, June 6, 2013

Without a Retractable Roof, You're Domed!

(architecture pun anyone?) :D

Thinking back on my experiences here in Vienna, I am faced with memories of being awe-struck and often speechless while visiting some of the most historical, grandiose and decorated places here. Thanks to Friederike, who since the very beginning has positioned herself as a source for knowledge, advice, and often frightfully accurate weather predictions, I saw so much more of Vienna than I thought I would. In three months and a handful of afternoons with Friederike, I’ve seen/experienced more of Vienna than any other students I’ve met from Austria whom have been here for two years.
Which leads me to think it’s okay, and truly necessary to take extra pause when I’m trying to express what made the biggest impressions on me in this whirlwind of studies abroad. So much has happened in so little time.

I think I will always remember this beautiful place by its stylistic modge-podge of architecture. In Vienna, as Friederike has taught us, you see a little bit of everything- something I’m definitely not used to in the states. I’ve loved getting to know the styles and the architects. Baroque, gothic, modern, Loos, Hoffman and Wagner are the things that have really stuck, as well one of my favorite buildings, the Secession House. It was on our very first outing with Friederike that she pointed out the symbolic simplicity of its exterior as per the movement of the artists union. Early on, and throughout the program, I looked forward to hearing more about the long history that resulted in such drastic stylistic differences in Vienna’s architecture, and Friederike of course, always made it most enjoyable.

Thank you, Thank you and Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment