Sunday, April 7, 2013

Hidden Gems


Vienna is full of surprises.  The last few days have been an unbelievable whirlwind of adventures, and I feel like a month has flown by in about four days because so much has happened…one day here feels like about three days at home. I am so exhausted! It’s so nice to finally be moved in to my apartment, so I have some space for relaxing. Here are some highlights and thoughts about my first days in Vienna...
- The springtime weather in Vienna is probably crazier than Washington…it was dumping snow all day on Wednesday, then the next day it was sunny! Everybody here dresses in big coats (lots of fur) and huge scarves- I need to get one so I look less American.  None of the trees are even green yet, so it’ll be kind of cool seeing the seasons change (hopefully soon)
- Vienna has to be one of the most beautiful cities I’ve ever seen.  And I’m sure once the sun comes out, it’ll be ten times better.  The architecture is incredible.  Several times I’ve been out walking around, and I’ll turn the corner on a small quiet street, then out of nowhere a huge church or awesome building jumps into view.  
- Underground restaurants are also a surprise.  My group from UW went out to dinner together on Monday night, and our director from IKI (the language school I’m going to here) led us to a boring little door in a side street, and next thing we know, we’re transported to a whole other world.  This city is like Narnia, and I’m not really exaggerating.  We ate dinner and drank wine underground in an old brick cellar left over from WWII, I guess there’s a ton of them around the city.  This place was endless, lots of big rooms full of people, and they were all connected by tunnels. Definitely want to discover more hidden gems like this.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the weather reminds me of Seattle very much. It becomes very difficult to choose what to wear in the morning when the weather maybe 15 degrees different by the time I am out of class! That underground restaurant was very cool, interesting to see how they had converted that bomb shelter, especially with all of those twists and turns, not to easy to get out after a couple glasses of wine. The architecture is mind blowing! been here over 2 weeks and im still awe-struck by how beautiful it is, especially when the sun comes out. Good post!

    ReplyDelete