Sunday, April 7, 2013

Vienna Waits For You


“You’re going to have the time of your life”
“Take TONS of pictures”
“Send me a postcard!”
This is what I’d been hearing all quarter from telling my friends, family, and co-workers that I wasn’t going to be at the UW Spring quarter. Instead, I’d be learning German in Vienna! Crazy.  As those weeks of winter quarter dragged on, and on, I felt like I was waiting for something that was going to be in the distance forever. It didn’t even sink in when I packed my bags.
My friends-“are you excited?!”
My family- “you nervous!?”
Absolutely. I’d never been able to travel outside the US before, and now I was going to be on a different continent, for 3 months, on my own, learning by living. All these things seemed equally exciting and terrifying. But that’s why I applied for this in the first place right? To be taken out of my comfort zone, and learn as much about the culture, the language, the history, and myself as possible.
Now that I’m here, I feel like there was anything to be afraid of at all. This city is thriving. There is a romance in walking down the long-beaten paths, and it looks just like the pictures.
I think Vienna should wear snow more often because it was breathtaking.
Every day this week I’ve been able explore with my classmates and I love love love turning around a street corner and seeing the beautiful architecture all around me. I will miss this when I leave. 

3 comments:

  1. It is so true. I had the same experience with you when I was in UW. My friends and classmates kept saying: “Have fun in Vienna!” and “Don’t forget to send me a postcard” to me. I still can’t believe that I am in Vienna already. The weather is turning better these days. We definitely should hang out in Vienna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ich auch! Everyone kept asking me if I was excited and nervous before I left. Duh, I am going to Europe I am excited and of course I am nervous! Like you it also didn't really hit me that I was really going, even now sometimes I don't feel like I am really here. But I am. So far the city has treated us fairly well and I expect that will continue. It has been fun making new discoveries in our new "home." Leaving this place will be hard, but let's not think about that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monica, this is exactly what all my friends and family were saying to me before I left! I love what you said about "learning by living" very well put! I also completely understand what you mean when you said it didn't set in for so long, it was the same for me! Overall I could not have said it better myself :)

    ReplyDelete