Sunday, April 7, 2013

My First Impression Of Vienna


Since this is my first time to be in Europe, I was so excited and looked up extremely information about the city on the website before I left to Vienna. Fortunately, everything went smoothly during the trip. I couldn’t wait to seeking and exploring the entire city after I settled down in my dorm. All around me here was really strange but novelty. It’s worth mentioning that the public transportations are super convenience; you can go almost anywhere by taking S-Bahn and U-Bahn. The things that impressed me most were these different kinds of buildings in Vienna. Every single building was unique and exquisite when I walked through the streets. More interestingly, I found some of the carvings on the buildings are asymmetric by observing in details. For instance, I visited a community church near the Westbahnhof, which has an eagle on the one side of the rooftop; however, there is a dragon with wings in the same size on the other side. 

Many landscapes demand your attention in Vienna. There’s no doubt that characteristic details brings these buildings to life. In addition, there are some shopping places and good restaurants around the Westbahnhof station. Fan, Yuki, Cindy and I found a great Chinese restaurant nearby. You can take U3 or U6 to get to the Westbahnhof station; it is easy to find on the Vienna’s U-Bahn map. What’s more, communication in native surroundings is quite different from what I practiced in my German course. Sometimes people confused with what I wanted to express in German because I used incorrect words. Consequently, I had to say that in English or with some gestures. I will definitely do more practice in my German courses. The first week passed quickly and I am looking forward to doing more explorations in the following weeks!

2 comments:

  1. It's so simple to get around in the city! This is true at least in the Inner Stadt, and areas we live. Relative to Seattle or my hometown, Chicago, everything seems so close. Maybe it is just all the architecture and new scenery, but I always amaze myself when I realize how far the group walks around in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, I agree..we can take the U-Bahn anywhere and there's is a station within an easy walks distance from anywhere in the city....If we knew how the Strassebahns or the Buses worked we might even to be able to get around easier...but that's not even a problem because walking around the city is very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete