Sunday, April 7, 2013

First Week: Sitting in the Lap of Luxury


Huddled atop a history of emperors and empresses, symphony and opera, art and its creators, luxury is the first and foremost association I have with Vienna.  Nevertheless, I never imagined, and could never have imagined, the breathtaking extent to which such luxury and beautification is taken.  The buildings themselves, ornate details woven into every crack, seem to breathe, with lives and stories of their own.  The walk around the Ringstrasse is the most definitive of Vienna’s architecture, but even in the backstreets, along the winding cobblestone roads, you can find intricate designs and stonework anywhere you look. It’s impossible for me to walk anywhere without finding myself completely caught up in my surroundings.  Every step, there is something new, and very beautiful, to see.

And life here seems to reflect the grandeur of the baroque architecture.  A little cold and always fashionable, Vienna’s locals spend much of their time in cafes.  The city is speckled with cafes, which are far different from those in America.  Patrons pay not only for the food but also for their table—that is, to spend a lot of time at that table, whether eating, smoking, or simply relaxing.

Vienna’s is definitely a relaxed culture, a glamorous culture, and one I am excited to soak up over the next few months.  


1 comment:

  1. The details and architecture of Vienna are definitely amazing, and you described them so well! There are always new surprises to discover, and I find myself often caught up in my surroundings as well...sometimes tripping over the uneven cobblestone streets because I'm too distracted gazing at everything around me!

    ReplyDelete