Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Adventure Begins



So begins the second expedition to Wien, Österreich!

With family and friends on the other side of the ocean, I step off the plane into a place where all the signs are in German. My dream practically. My friends back home constantly comment on how much I enjoy speaking and learning about anything German, but here is where I put my curiosity to the ultimate test. As I hear people speaking all sorts of languages heading to baggage claim, the excitement sets in: finally, a place where I can constantly be in the German mindset!
Then begins my first encounter trying to speak German after weeks of not practicing. My dad had warned me beforehand that taxi drivers tend not to speak English, so I was prepared mentally to give my directions in German. But once I got into the car, it was a different story entirely. The taxi driver was a nice guy, but he had an extremely thick Russian accent on top of his German. I had no idea what he was saying. An uncomfortable feeling began to set in as I began to doubt if my meager knowledge of German would last me through the next three months. Finally, I told him to just drop me off near Karlsplatz and we were off to the city center.
The city itself was just how I remembered it from three years ago. The buildings here are for the most part ornate, and I can't help but love being a tourist here and taking in all these small, beautiful details. I think that sometimes the natives here might take them for granted as looking up in this city instantly marks you as a tourist. But for the time being, I am content to stand on a street corner-- looking up to these beautiful buildings with wonder and amazement in my eyes. If you do end up going to Vienna, don't be afraid of looking up. Take your eyes off the boots of the person in front of you, and enjoy what Vienna has to offer. Whether it's the Opera House, the Naschmarkt, or Schönbrunn Palace, there will always be views to remember and surprises at every turn.



1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with your anecdote about meeting the taxi driver. When I was on the plane from Frankfurt, I was sitting next to a young austrian mother and the entire time I was trying to formulate some questions I could ask her. By the time I finally mustered the courage to ask her in german if she lived in Vienna, I had absolutely no idea what her response was. Wie peinlich! I would like to think that I've improved my conversation skills for now, but who knows.

    ReplyDelete